The newsletter will now be blog posts
I’ve just sent out the second issue of the email newsletter but, in a sense, it’s the last issue of the email newsletter. After this, all blog posts will be sent to the newsletter, and there won’t be different content delivered by email. You can subscribe to this blog by RSS or, now by email. There’s no newsletter with its own different content.
I explain a bit about why in the newsletter and, so you don’t miss out, here’s the full content of that newsletter…
ooh.directory newsletter #2
Hello, remember me? This is the newsletter for ooh.directory, the directory of blogs, which currently contains 1,590 blogs.
After this newsletter future emails will only be posts from the site’s own blog, rather than entirely different content. If you already subscribe to the blog’s RSS feed you might not want to read everything twice so feel free to unsubscribe from one or the other (there’s a link at the end for unsubscribing from emails).
Why the change? Because I’m not sure why something should be in the blog or the newsletter, and I end up not writing anything for either. So, let’s keep it simple for now – the same words in emails and RSS, and a bit more frequently.
To catch us up, here are the blog posts since the last newsletter:
- One month on – An update on the busy first month.
- OPML and RSS feeds for categories – You can now subscribe to an RSS feed of new blogs added to specific categories, or download an OPML file of all blogs already in a category.
- New layout for Recently Updated Blogs – The Recently updated blogs page is now easier to use as a quick “what’s the latest from all the blogs?” page.
As categories fill up with new blogs I’m gradually creating new subcategories within them. Here are some of the newer ones in case they’re up your street:
Last time I asked you to guess what day of the week was the most popular one on which to start a blog. Can you remember what you guessed?
We know the date of the first post for 1,421 blogs on the site and from that, here are the most popular days of the week:
Day of week Blogs started Monday 260 Tuesday 229 Wednesday 227 Friday 196 Thursday 185 Sunday 178 Saturday 146
There we go. And looking at the days of the week on which blog posts were published, this confirms that weekends are quieter in the blogosphere:
Day of week Posts published Tuesday 20,237 Monday 20,211 Wednesday 19,574 Thursday 18,692 Friday 18,613 Saturday 10,785 Sunday 10,582
To be fair, this is skewed a bit by a few professional blogs that publish many posts, presumably while the writers are at work, and that tend to hog the Recently updated blogs page, which is a problem for another day.
Finally, here are a few blogs that have caught my attention since we last newslettered you.
- Shady Characters – In-depth posts about punctuation marks since 2010.
- The TTABlog® – I have no interest in the US Trademark Trial and Appeal Board but I admire any blog that’s this active about such a specific thing.
- Orson Cart – It only updates occasionally but if you ever wondered what’s involved in making horse-drawn carts from scratch, subscribe now.
- Strong Language – “A sweary blog about swearing”. Yes, it is.
- Magical Trash – “Documenting the trash cans of Disney theme parks and resorts for 13 years.” The more specific a blog, the more magical it is.
- Victorian Paris – Describing what life was like in 19th century Paris, one post at a time.
- Chaplin-Keaton-Lloyd film locations (and more) – Twelve years of posts about where and how those movies were shot.
That’s all for now. See you in the next blog post, whether delivered by email or RSS.